Warm up on the SouthSide with a Spicy First Friday January
Date: December 20, 2017
Bethlehem, PA (December 20, 2017) – It may be cold outside, but it’s red hot in the Arts District. Join us as we welcome Domaci to their new home on Third Street with a special opening celebration. And then take your taste buds on a spicy adventure to Bonn Place Brewing, Hot Plate Soul Kitchen, General Zapata, Jenny’s Kuali and more for their spicy drink and meal specials to fight off Old Man Winter! Then be sure to stop by Godfrey Daniel’s for Lehigh Valley Underground’s First Friday Concert Series featured artist Jim Weider & PRoJECT PERCoLAToR. Stop by our office at 324 South New Street, conveniently located in the New Street Parking Garage to pick up your itinerary and FREE GIFT to start 2018 off with a bang! Below is a complete list of all our First Friday Happenings:
· A-List Salon – Start your year with nourished hair! Enjoy 50% OFF all Treatment Services. Bonus 30% OFF on your Treatment, Mask, and leave in Home Care!
· Bonn Place Brewing - Cask Conditioned Ale, prepared with Spicy Hot Peppers, Monocacy Coffee Roasters Coffee and Social Still Bourbon Soaked Oak Chips. As always, Happy Hour is from 4:07-5:33 PM EST and begins at 3:00 PM for Medical and Educational Professionals, with valid ID.
· Domaci – Welcome Domaci to their new home as they complete their move from the Historic District to the Arts District just in time to celebrate First Friday! Visit their new flagship store and see the transformation to the space that was formerly the home of the iconic Cleo's Silversmith Studio & Gallery, one of the pioneers of SouthSide retail. They'll be celebrating First Friday with complimentary cocktails, a self-serve S'mores bar, and a live performance from Not For Coltrane, as part of the Lehigh Valley Underground First Friday Concert Series and other special surprises throughout the night!
· Fox Optical & Gallery – Now through 02/17/2018 “Nineteen Years of Vision & the Arts”. A mixed-media retrospective of some of the artists featured in the gallery since 1998. A First Friday reception will be held on 01/05/2018 from 7 to 10 pm.
· General Zapata – Enjoy our homemade “fire sauce” made with habanero peppers! Add to any of dishes and be sure to order extra ice water!
· Godfrey Daniels – 8pm Live performance from Jim Weider and his group, ProJECT PERCoLAToR as part of the Lehigh Valley Underground First Friday Concert Series. Jim is a master of classic telecaster guitar, is renowned for his rock and blues-based signature sound. He is among a select group of musicians with an endorsement from Fender and, for the past three decades, he's earned enormous respect from fellow musicians and music fans throughout the world.
· Hot Plate Soul Kitchen – First Friday Fire & Ice Special – Flaming Jerk Pork Rib & Snowflake Honey Dipped Cauliflower – both items included with 1 side! $9.95 each.
· Lehigh Valley Charter High School for the Arts – January 5 First Friday FREE art reception for the Winter Student Exhibit from 6-9pm in the Corpora Gallery, located on the school's campus at 321 East 3rd Street, Bethlehem. The exhibit includes original works by visual art students.
· Molly’s Irish Grille & Sports Pub – FREE APPETIZERS AT THE BAR WHILE SUPPLIES LAST (5pm-7pm). And 6pm enjoy a Live Performance from Brian Kibler as part of the Lehigh Valley Underground First Friday Concert Series.
· Jenny's Kuali - Heat things up this First Friday with our spicy curry dishes and special spicy wings! Be sure to mention you’re here for First Friday!
· The Banana Factory – Performance from Dear Anna frontman Lorenzo Bubba starting at 6pm in the Crayola Gallery. Bubba is set to headline the Lehigh Valley Underground 2nd Birthday Spectacular at SteelStacks two weeks later on Friday, January 19.
· Get Creative Art Class Sampler! During January First Friday we are offering several stations throughout the Banana Factory where guests can observe and explore some of the different classes we offer year round. Our Teaching Artists will be happy to show you how they work and/or help you make a small project of your own. If being more creative or trying something new is on your resolutions list, you won’t want to miss this First Friday
· Art Class Sampler Stations:
· Jewelry Demo by Resident Artists and Teaching Artists Kevin Herbst Haaf and Valerie Breaux Haaf- Jewelry Studio, 7:30PM - Stop by and watch live Jewelry demos of different process typically taught in our Intro to Jewelry Class and our Cold Connections Jewelry Class.
· Wheelthrowing Demo - Ceramic Classroom - Watch a live demo and try your hand at one of our most popular classes!
· Exploring Art: Creative Keychains with Teaching Artist Natalie Hartman- Visual Art Classroom - Our Exploring Art classes teach kids how to have fun and create with all kind of art materials! Teaching Artist Natalie Hartman will lead kids in using different materials to make a one-of-a-kind keychain keepsake! *One keychain project per child*
· Mixed Media Painting with Resident Artist and Teaching Artist Devyn Briggs- Studio 253. You don’t need be Picasso to take our painting classes! Try your hand at mixed media painting with Teaching Artist Devyn Briggs and make a small mixed media painting to take home with you.
· Winter Card Block Printing Demo with Teaching Artist Jesse Shaw- Banko Gallery - Adding a creative flair to anything is easy with the art of block printing! Learn how to ink and print your own card with Teaching Artist Jesse Shaw and send your beautiful artwork to all your friends!
· Weaving Demo with Teaching Artist Mallory Zondag- Gallery 104 - What’s better than scrolling through Pinterest? Seeing a live weaving demo! Watch teaching artist Mallory Zondag weave her popular Succulent Woven Wall Hangings and learn how you can make your own at one of Wine’d Down Weaving Workshops.
· InVision Photo-Based Art Juried Exhibition –Crayola Gallery
· The Trouble with Cowboys, Dan R. Talley – Banko Gallery
· Dreadnought, Anthony Smith Jr. – Alvin H. Butz Gallery, ArtsQuest Center at Steelstacks
· Succulent Series: a Pop-Up Exhibition by Diana Ogaard – 24 East Building, 3rd Street, Bethlehem
· Free Activities:
· Hot Glass Demonstration – 7:00pm, Hot Glass Studio
· FREE Kid Art Scavenger Hunt- 6PM-8PM, Visual Arts Classroom. Kids who turn in completed scavenger hunts to front desk get a special prize!
Additionally, Lehigh Valley Underground will now accept performer submissions for future First Friday events on a rolling basis. Performers interested in submitting should email streaming links and a short bio/EPK to email@example.com